• Home
  • Interviews
    • Yearly Top Tens
Menu

World of Reel

Street Address
City, State, Zip
Phone Number
Home
IMG_6019.jpeg
Pedro Pascal’s “Surprise” ‘Mandalorian’ Stunt Was “Staged” — How Desparate is Disney?
IMG_6008.jpeg
Nicolas Winding Refn’s ‘Her Private Hell’ is Damn-Near Unwatchable [Cannes]
IMG_6004.jpeg
Cristian Mungiu’s ‘Fjord’ Tackles the Culture War in Potential Palme d’Or Contender [Cannes]
IMG_6001.jpeg
Romain Gavras’ Next Film to Tackle 2025 Louvre Crown Jewels Heist
IMG_5997.jpeg
Tim Burton Pitching “Top Secret” Movie Project for Buyers at Cannes
Featured
Capture.PNG
August 19, 2019
3-Hour ‘Midsommar' Director's Cut Screened in NYC
August 19, 2019

This year’s 12th edition of the Scary Movies festival at Film at Lincoln Center premiered Ari Aster’s extended version of “Midsommar” this past Saturday.

August 19, 2019

World of Reel

  • Home
  • Interviews
  • More
    • Yearly Top Tens

‘Out of This World’: Albert Serra’s Has Decided Not to Submit 4-Hour Cut for Cannes [Updated]

April 2, 2026 Jordan Ruimy

UPDATE: Serra has taken the wise decision of not rushing his next film for Cannes. Variety’s Elsa Keslassy is reporting that he has decided not to submit “Out of This World.” This means we might have to wait until 2027 for this one.

EARLIER: You gotta love Albert Serra. The Spanish filmmaker, and part-time press troll, has had his recent work catapult him to the ranks of top international filmmakers. After the Cannes competition breakout “Pacifiction” in 2022, the Spanish auteur returned with the extraordinary “Afternoons of Solitude,” a meditative bullfighting documentary — easily one of the best films I saw last year. Both films topped Cahiers du Cinéma’s year-end lists in their respective years.

Which now leads us to “Out of This World,” Serra’s latest film, his first one in English, and in all likelihood soon to be submitted for Cannes consideration — well over nine days after the submission deadline has passed. Word is that Cannes told Serra he had to shorten the runtime.

Why the delay? The edit is said to be “gargantuan.” Serra originally envisioned a four-hour cut for “Out of This World,” but was told it’s too long. Shot over four weeks last summer in Latvia with Forma Pro, Variety reported that Serra captured as much as 800 hours of footage — a Malickian move on his part.

We only have one still from the film, that of star Riley Keough holding onto a rolling ladder. It looks like she’s in a circus, which seems far removed from what the official synopsis had hinted at.

“Out of This World,” which tackles U.S.–Russia tensions during the ongoing war in Ukraine, follows an American delegation sent to Russia to resolve an economic dispute tied to sanctions. Serra describes it as a film exploring “the eternal rivalry” between Russia and the USA.

Originally announced in December 2023, the film was initially set to star Kristen Stewart, but she was replaced by Riley Keough this summer. According to Serra, Stewart had signed on early but backed out after he made changes to the script. “She changed her mind,” Serra explained, adding that the new direction of the film didn’t sit well with the actress.

Joining Keough in the ensemble cast are F. Murray Abraham, Liza Yankovskaya, Evgenyia Gromova, and Birte von Knoblauch. No other actors have been mentioned yet, but more announcements are expected soon.

With “Out of This World,” Serra seems poised to return to Cannes — but will he be able to assemble a coherent cut in time? Stay tuned.

← Is Martin Scorsese Shooting Two Movies This Year? — ‘Midnight Vendetta’ Rumored to Shoot in New Orleans in DecemberRachel Zegler to Star in Lin Manuel Miranda’s ‘Octet’? →

FOLLOW US!

No results found

Trending

Featured
IMG_5398.jpeg
Warner Bros. Source Says ‘Horizon: Chapter 2’ Is “Frozen” With “No Plans” for Release
IMG_5393.jpeg
Mel Gibson’s ‘The Resurrection of the Christ’ Wraps Seven-Month Shoot With New DP Robrecht Heyvaert, $250M Budget
IMG_5374.jpeg
Is Steven Spielberg’s ‘Disclosure Day’ a Secret Sequel to ‘Close Encounters’?
IMG_5332.jpeg
Lynne Ramsay Says Joaquin Phoenix Arctic Epic ‘Polaris’ Is Her Next Film and Calls It Her ‘2001’

World of Reel RSS

Critics Polls

Featured
IMG_4965.jpeg
Fritz Lang’s ‘M’ Tops the Best Films of the 1930s, According to 100+ Critics
Capture.PNG
Critics Poll: ‘Citizen Kane' Named Best Film of the 1940s
Capture.PNG
Critics Poll: ‘Vertigo’ Named Best Film of the 1950s, Over 120 Participants
B16BAC21-5652-44F6-9E83-A1A5C5DF61D7.jpeg
Critics Poll: Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ Tops Our 1960s Critics Poll
 

SEND NEWS TIPS

Summary Block
This block is invalid. Please check the block settings and try again.
Featured
Aenean eu leo Quam
World of Reel tagline.PNG
 

Content

Contribute

Hire me

 

Support

Advertise

Donate

 

About

Team

Contact

Privacy Policy

Site designed by Jordan Ruimy © 2025