• Home
  • Interviews
    • Yearly Top Tens
Menu

World of Reel

Street Address
City, State, Zip
Phone Number
Home
Michael Bay to Direct “Operation Epic Fury” Movie for Universal
Renate Reinsve to Star in Mia Hansen-Løve’s ‘If Love Should Die’ — Shoots This Summer
IMG_6056.jpeg
Matt Damon to Star in The Daniels’ $150M Sci-Fi Epic Set in the ’80s With Time Travel, Global Warming and Superhero Twist
IMG_6051.jpeg
A24’s ‘Backrooms’ Tracking to $50M Opening as YouTube Creator Wave Reshapes Hollywood
IMG_6055.jpeg
Sandra Hüller Hypes ‘Digger’: “It Impresses Me Beyond Anything I’ve Ever Seen”
Featured
Capture.PNG
August 19, 2019
3-Hour ‘Midsommar' Director's Cut Screened in NYC
August 19, 2019

This year’s 12th edition of the Scary Movies festival at Film at Lincoln Center premiered Ari Aster’s extended version of “Midsommar” this past Saturday.

August 19, 2019

World of Reel

  • Home
  • Interviews
  • More
    • Yearly Top Tens

Steven Soderbergh “Frustrated” He Wasted “Two and a Half Years” of His Life Working on ‘The Hunt For Ben Solo’

February 18, 2026 Jordan Ruimy

Last year, we learned that Lucasfilm had greenlit a new “Star Wars” film to be directed by Steven Soderbergh — Adam Driver was set to return as Ben Solo (aka Kylo Ren), with the entire project titled “The Hunt for Ben Solo.”

Sadly, the movie was canceled by Disney’s Bob Iger for “story reasons,” despite then-Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy pushing hard for the film to happen and later expressing genuine frustration over how the project was scrapped.

Soderbergh, in his first in-depth interview since the news broke, told BKMAG that he now feels like he wasted “two and a half years” of his life, with no pay, preparing for his Star Wars project.

We were all frustrated. You know, that was two and a half years of free work for me […] And so there’s nothing to do about it, you know, except move on. And as I posted, I’d kind of made the movie in my head, and just felt bad that nobody else was going to get to see it. I thought the conversation was strictly going to be a practical one — where they go, what is this going to cost? And I had a really good answer for that. But it never even got to that point. It’s insane. We’re all very disappointed

A recent report confirmed that “Ben Solo” had a finished screenplay and was moving into early prep and staffing. Scott Z. Burns was brought on to finalize the script, reportedly earning $3 million — more than any writer in Lucasfilm history. Burns had prior connections to Star Wars, having contributed uncredited work on “Rogue One” before Tony Gilroy completed that film.

High-level Lucasfilm executives, including Kathleen Kennedy, were deeply involved in development and reportedly pleased with the scripts. Sources indicate the delay came from Disney executives, who raised concerns over narrative continuity — specifically, how Ben Solo could be alive after “The Rise of Skywalker.”

Plenty of Star Wars fans have been fuming over Disney’s decision — according to Collider, some even funded a plane to fly a banner over Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California, reading “Save The Hunt for Ben Solo.”

Is the project truly dead? That’s the question on everybody’s mind, especially with the departures of Iger and Kennedy. Perhaps their successors might eventually revisit “The Hunt for Ben Solo” one of these days.

← Bad Bunny Set For First Lead Role in ‘Porto Rico’ With Viggo Mortensen, Edward Norton, and Javier BardemRUMOR: Tom Cruise Wants Chloe Zhao to Direct ‘Mission: Impossible 9’ — Script Being Written? →

FOLLOW US!

No results found

Trending

Featured
IMG_5398.jpeg
Warner Bros. Source Says ‘Horizon: Chapter 2’ Is “Frozen” With “No Plans” for Release
IMG_5393.jpeg
Mel Gibson’s ‘The Resurrection of the Christ’ Wraps Seven-Month Shoot With New DP Robrecht Heyvaert, $250M Budget
IMG_5374.jpeg
Is Steven Spielberg’s ‘Disclosure Day’ a Secret Sequel to ‘Close Encounters’?
IMG_5332.jpeg
Lynne Ramsay Says Joaquin Phoenix Arctic Epic ‘Polaris’ Is Her Next Film and Calls It Her ‘2001’

World of Reel RSS

Critics Polls

Featured
IMG_4965.jpeg
Fritz Lang’s ‘M’ Tops the Best Films of the 1930s, According to 100+ Critics
Capture.PNG
Critics Poll: ‘Citizen Kane' Named Best Film of the 1940s
Capture.PNG
Critics Poll: ‘Vertigo’ Named Best Film of the 1950s, Over 120 Participants
B16BAC21-5652-44F6-9E83-A1A5C5DF61D7.jpeg
Critics Poll: Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ Tops Our 1960s Critics Poll
 

SEND NEWS TIPS

Summary Block
This block is invalid. Please check the block settings and try again.
Featured
Aenean eu leo Quam
World of Reel tagline.PNG
 

Content

Contribute

Hire me

 

Support

Advertise

Donate

 

About

Team

Contact

Privacy Policy

Site designed by Jordan Ruimy © 2025